As a global identity, we should understand that language is a very important tool that can help solving many world’s problems. Anyone’sbeliefs and ideologies are reflected through words while speaking. Another fact that cannot be overlooked is that any nation’s culture can flourish only when it interacts with other cultures of the world. Once again the importance of language is felt because language is the major tool for interaction and discussion.
The system of communication and information is developing and this is making it more sophisticated which in turn making world smaller and smaller. The rapid exchange of info and improvement in cultural contacts has been possible through translation services. Along with theatrical and practical skills, a need for the ability to adapt is needed for students to develop their relevant intellectual, communicative and planning skills. This is why training language translators is are given high priority.
The service of a language translator to nurture languages and enhance culture has been significant throughout history. Here are some specific features of a good language translator.
- A good translator must have active knowledge for which extensive reading of several translations of various forms of texts is recommended.
- A good translator should have a complete and widespread knowledge and understanding of both, source and target languages.
- A good translator should be capable of writing smoothly and correctly in both, source and target languages.
- The translator must be aware of the cultural differences and several discourse strategies in source and target languages.
- It is an additional advantage for the translator to be familiar with the culture and social settings of the source and target language speakers.
Only after good competence is developed in both, source and target languages, good translation work can be started. Above all, an academic environment is very important for a good language translator to work.